When you have been put in the place of deciding the manner of disposition of the body of a recently deceased loved one, or you are doing your own preplanning, you may be curious as to why people choose cremation over traditional burial. Many people are unfamiliar the benefits of cremation. This week’s blog will cover some of those benefits
- The cost of a cremation is substantially lower than that of a traditional funeral.
- A cremation following a viewing and/ or memorial service allows friends and family to gather and honor their loved one with the expense of a traditional burial.
- A direct cremation saves even more money by eliminating the costs of embalming, dressing, cosmetics and casketing.
- If family and friends need time to plan and travel for a memorial service a direct cremation allows this flexibility.
- A memorial service can be held with or without the presence of the ashes at any time.
- Choosing direct cremation eliminates the need for embalming which uses a large amount of chemicals.
- Traditional burial results in the burying of 800,000 gallons of formaldehyde and 1,000 tons of steel every year.
- Issues of land use and the cost of land for a cemetery plot concern many who consider a traditional burial, but these issues are not a concern when considering cremation.
If you’d like to learn more about cremation, traditional burials or preplanning, contact Harmony Funeral Homes. We offer these services to the community in Brooklyn New York, as we have done since 1987.